Very simple method to preserve cherry tomatoes and have an alternative to sun dried tomatoes.
Easy to make and so tasty. I use them with breakfast avocado toast, salads or even to make pasta sauce or red pesto.
- 1kg of cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Couple of strings of thyme
- Couple of bay leaves
- 200-300g of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
1. Watch tomatoes and cut them on halves.
2. In a bowl mix them with finally chopped garlic, thyme, oil, salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 120C. Lay tomatoes on a tray cut side facing up, so the liquid from tomatoes can easily escape.
4. Cook tomatoes for about 30-40 min. Stop when you are ready with a result. You don’t want them to be too dry.
5. When still hot place them into sterilised jars. I normally keep them in the fridge. If you wish to keep them outside the fridge you need to sterilise them.
- You can use not only cherry tomatoes, but basically any tomatoes
- Another way to cook tomatoes without wasting electricity or gas is to place tray with seasoned as above tomatoes into hot oven and switch it off. We used to do it in the kitchen after finishing service. Leave tomatoes overnight in the oven. Oven normally should be 180C (356F). I prefer this method less as you don’t have any control over those few hours. At home you can do it though